Today I will be posting my thoughts and book discussion questions for Savvy by Ingrid Law. This is a book that my teens and I are reading for our book club, and I think it will help me organize my thoughts to give a short review here and the possible discussion questions I will ask the group to generate thoughtful discussion!
Savvy is a charming tale about Mibs, a newly minted 13 year old who gained a savvy. What is a savvy? It is a special kind of know-how, that varies from person to person in Mibs family. For example, her grandpa can manipulate the earth, her mother can do just about everything perfectly, and her brothers have control over electrical currents in the case of the older or water in case of the younger. A few days before her 13th birthday, which is the day you might receive a savvy, Mibs’ father, who is just a regular guy, gets into a terrible car accident. On the day of her birthday, Mibs believes her savvy might be the only thing that can help her dad, so she, her friends, and some of her siblings join her on a bus adventure toward their goal.
That is pretty much just the first few chapters, and the story evolves further as they realize the bus is going the wrong way. They meet various people, and go through some challenging events. This story is worth reading if you like the idea of mundane magic, or of magical realism. This book is written in a way that 5th graders through high school will enjoy the read. I would place the reading level squarely in the middle school range, despite the amount of older teens that read this title.
Savvy was suggested as a book club selection by my teens in the Teen Advisory Board.
Some suggested Book Discussion Questions:
- Were there any parts of this story you particularly enjoyed? Any parts of the story you didn’t care for?
- Mibs and her family seem to be bullied and made fun of. Why do you think that is?
- Why does Mibs’ family have to keep their savvies secret? How hard do you think it is for them to keep their secret?
- What did you think Mibs’ savvy was at first? Did you guess it correctly? Or did you get it mixed up like Mibs?
- How did Mibs figure out what her savvy was?
- Will Jr. and Bobbi ended up on the bus with the Beaumont kids. How does the relationship between them evolve?
- In the book, did you get the feeling the adults, Lester and Lill, on the bus had savvies of their own? What do you think those savvies might be?
- What do you think of the relationship between Will Jr. and Mibs?
- What, if any, do you think is the morale of this story? There might be more than one!
- Do you think you would like a savvy even if you had to keep it secret? What would your savvy be?